MATCH REPORT - SELKENT LEAGUE (Spring): Orpington Colts vs JR Spartans - 12th May 13 (Away)

12/05/2013 20:01


Our tenth and last game of the spring season saw us away to Orpington Colts. On another   sunny morning we arrived at their ground and struggled to find the pitch, this was in part due to the very faded almost not existant pitch markings. The starting squad was Ben (Goalkeeper), George (Left Back), Kaci (Right Back), Finlay (Left Midfield), Taran (Centre Midfield & captain), Jack (Right Midfield) and William (Striker). Given Orpington’s previous results this was going to be a tough game and so it panned out. We immediately showed some brilliant passing moves from the defenders through to the midfield. One of these string of passes lead to our first attack on goal, following early pressure from Jack on the right hand side his shot was deflected into the path of Taran, whose shot went just wide of the Orpington goal. With 10 minutes gone of the first half we were still holding our own with every player fighting hard for every ball. On the 13th minute William made way for Callum to join the action. Following a good break from Callum the ball was played into the middle where Taran collected the ball and fired just wide once more. Minutes later we got a throw in on the right hand side and the ball found its way to Kaci, whose shot unfortunately went high and wide.

Orpington Colts had very few chances and this was due to good defending by George, Kaci and Taran breaking up any attempt. Ben was also on form being very sharp in coming out and collecting the ball early to stop any danger. On the 15th minute Finlay made way for Lovell on the left. Shortly afterwards Orpington Colts got a break on the right flank and fired a shot across Bens goal, this being their first real opportunity of the first half. With the boys really looking like they want to finish the final game in style we entered the half time break all even.

Half time score: Orpington Colts – 0, Junior Reds Spartans – 0


The second half started with some changes Jack came off for Ugo (on the right), Kaci made way for Finlay and William rejoined the action for Callum up front. From the kick off Orpington Colts attacked our goal, the ball was played into our penalty area and we struggled to clear the ball, after several players tried to clear the ball  it was finally poked into our net for our opponents to take the lead. This appeared to cause both teams to start really playing some  open football which saw Lovell go close on the 7th minute only for him to be tackled just as Lovell was about to shot. Immediately after this chance Orpington had another chance on our goal only for Ben to leap to his left to pull off a terrific save and push the ball onto the post (Fantastic goal keeping Ben). In the 10th minute Orpington got close again with a goal kick that went straight through to their forward. He ran straight to goal and his shot hit the post and went out for a goal kick.  From the resultant goal kick Finlay played in Lovell. Lovell carried the ball down the left hand side and fired a cross into the box where William is. The ball looks like it deflected off of someone but it was difficult to see. William said he got a touch on the ball, so I’m happy to give it to William (that’s four in four games). The second half continued to have end to end chances but with Finlay, George and Taran opportunities for Orpington Colts are prevented time after time. On the 19th minute Jack rejoined the action for Ugo on the right hand wing. Within minutes of the change we had another attack on our opponent’s goal through Lovell, Callum and Jack. The ball finally broke on the edge of the box to Taran who fired a brilliant shot in to the top right hand corner of the goal to put us in the lead (great strike Taran). With some strong challenges going in from both teams we kept the pressure on Orpington. With 3 minutes left of the half, Callum went close with a shot which their keeper saved well to his left hand side. Within minutes Lovell and Callum linked together on the left and as Callum was about to “pull the trigger” he got tripped up in the penalty box. The ref rightly awarded us a penalty. Finlay was nominated to take the spot kick and coolly stepped up to slot a powerful shot past the keeper’s right hand side into the corner of the net (great pen Finlay and the first penalty we’ve made count). With us two goals in front the referee blew the final whistle a minute later.      

Final Score: Orpington Colts – 1, Junior Reds Spartans – 3   


Managers Comments: Well what can I say, a fantastic result for our final game of the spring season and another great win for the boys. There were some great performances again in every area of the pitch, as there has been in previous weeks. As a team the boys are growing week by week, both physically and technically and they are becoming fitter and stronger. This was evident on today’s performance. This win brings our total points tally to a magnificent 14 points and sees us finish in 4th position in the league. This season I’ve seen such an improvement by each and every one of you. You have made me and John very proud of what you have achieved.   

Big thank you goes to William for helping out with the match card this week. I would also like to send a massive thank you from all the boys to their parents and guardians for suppoting them each weekend. 


Captain – Taran

Man of the match - Taran 








Goal Diff